In a world that is always seeking a faster pace, higher productivity, and greater output, it can be challenging to take time to rest and restore. Restorative practices are important: not only can they aid in lowering blood pressure and stress levels, and creating more ease and comfort in the body, they also create a space for us to practice witnessing sensations and experiences that we’ve been ignoring, and to connect to our deeper wisdom and intelligence within. Difficult times make the need to rest deeply in a safe space more important than ever.
Yoga nidra is a powerful practice that creates an opportunity for deep rest, guided relaxation, and with prolonged practice, a heightened sense of self-awareness and even powerful physiological, energetic, and relational changes. Coupled with the practice of a sankalpa, or resolution, yoga nidra can create a context where you can sow seeds of change and reap its fruits in your day-to-day life. In this workshop, you’ll spend time discussing the concept of sankalpa, and journaling about what sankalpa you seek to begin or continue using, and how it can do its good work in your life. You’ll share a brief, gentle practice of asana, pranayama, and mantra, and then you’ll rest deeply as Jessica leads you through a yoga nidra session designed to cultivate rest, nourishment, and healing in the physical and energetic bodies.
This workshop will include:
- Discussion and reflection on sankalpa and how it can serve you as a tool in yoga nidra
- An opportunity to begin crafting a sankalpa to use for this and future yoga nidra sessions
- A gentle, accessible asana practice suitable for all levels of practitioner
- Pranayama and mantra work to still the mind and prepare for deep relaxation
- A comfortable, safe environment where you can rest deeply in the practice of yoga nidra
Workshop participants will be able to:
- Create a sankalpa that will aid them as they move toward their goals and experiences
- Guide themselves through a simple, gentle relaxation technique that will aid physical relaxation at any time of day
- Cultivate a space of relaxation that is free of screens, distractions, and other stressors
This workshop is open to anyone in need of mental, physical, or emotional rest. Yoga nidra can be helpful for pain management, insomnia, anxiety, so anyone living with these conditions will benefit from the practice. While some yoga experience is nice, it’s not mandatory.
Wear comfortable clothing you can both practice and relax in, and bring a sweater in case you might get cold. Bring your yoga mat and whatever you like to take notes with.